Gulley’s administration has made several significant accomplishments. Among them:
- Improved city finances by taking the city from millions in debt to a budget surplus.
- Established a business-friendly administration, which has resulted in the recruitment of more business and industry to Bessemer. About 3,500 jobs have been created in the city during his administration.
- Improved the staffing levels and technology at the Bessemer Police Department to combat crime, resulting in a dramatic drop in the city’s overall crime rate over the past six years.
- Created a unified working relationship between the Mayor and the Council.
- Created transparency in city government.